Top 7 Best Backpacks with Wheels for Travel
Top 7 Best Backpacks with Wheels for Travel
This moment when you decide to go travelling. A backpack or a suitcase? Or rather, can you think of an ultimate travel bag which can combine your appetite for luxury travel with backpacking adventures. In this guide, you’re going to find everything you need to know about the best backpacks with wheels for travel, also known as convertible backpacks.
Why should you limit yourself to one type of travel anyway? Our top 7 best backpacks with wheels for travel will help you decide without compromising on the comfort. After all, what you want is a durable, comfortable and stylish piece of luggage that will serve you throughout some of the least expected situations. You will wish you had discovered it a lot sooner!
1) Osprey Packs Sojourn 80 Wheeled Luggage
- Size: 80L
- Material: Ballistic Nylon
- Available in: Flash Black, Hoodoo Red, Nitro Green
- Dimensions: L 71cm x H 35cm x W 36cm
- Other sizes: Osprey Sojourn 60L / 25″
- Weight: 4.07 kg
- AG AntiGravity mesh back system with trampoline suspension for guaranteed ventilation
- Harness and hip belt are adjustable around torso area and can be removed
- Retractable ErgoGrip handle that follows any direction of your movements
- Built-in foam StraightJacket and internal compression straps to protect your belongings and reduce creases
- Equipped with high-quality sternum strap
- Contains large zippered compartment located around lower back area
- Liquid and accessory pocket for dirty clothes
- that and protect your belongings
- HighRoad Chassis that ensures a smooth ride experience no matter the quality of surface
- Demanding travellers who like to combine business with adventure
- Anyone who needs a stylish, elegant looking convertible backpack suitcase in a medium size
- Travellers who value comfort and like to use one bag to transition from business travel to backpacking mode
- Those who need ultimate protection and do not require very lightweight and large travel trolleys
- Relatively heavy for the size
- Telescopic handle can be difficult to extend and can appear quite wobbly when bag is fully packed
For those of you who have a busy lifestyle and split their frequent travel between business and active leisure, Osprey Packs Sojourn Wheeled Luggage will be your best choice.
This hybrid backpack is so stylish and well-designed that it’s no surprise why it’s listed among best backpacks with wheels for travel. It’s the type of backpack that opens like a suitcase and looks like a very respectable business bag.
Osprey wheeled backpack comes with a lot of storage area with pockets located in very convenient places throughout, such as internal mesh pockets on the sides. ErgoGrip handle is fully retractable and has been designed to follow whichever direction of your movements but take extra care not to overpack as the telescopic handle of this backpack suitcase with wheels can wobble a bit when it’s overly packed.
The smart AG AntiGravity mesh back system offers great ventilation. Along with removable harness and hip belt that can be adjusted around your torso area, sternum straps ensure maximum levels of comfort. Don’t worry if you need to increase packing space. Back panel suspension parts can be easily removed. If you want to cinch down the bag, you can use the Straight Jacket compressions straps.
Overall, if you tend to utilise all the available space and the bag weight is within your criteria, you will greatly appreciate the sturdy design and high-end quality materials used in Osprey Sojourn 80 trolley backpack that guarantee comfort in any travel situation, whether you find yourself in a crowded train in India or flying business class to NYC.
2) Osprey Ozone 36 Convertible
- Size: 36L
- Available in: Black
- Material: 210D Nylon Shadow Box
- Other sizes: Osprey Ozone Convertible 28″ 70L
- Dimensions: H 50cm x W 36cm x D 23cm
- Weight: 2.16 kg
- Suspended mesh back system that can be adjusted
- Ergonomic expandable handle for easy carrying
- Ultralight LT metal Chassis
- Cabin size dimensions that conform to EU hand luggage standards
- Anyone looking for a compact bag that can be used as a daypack as well as a business rucksack
- Travellers who need a sturdy and very lightweight construction
- Anyone who prefers to have their bag contents organised in many inside pockets and dividers
- Travellers looking for an addition to their main suitcase or backpack that like the comfort of a convertible suitcase backpack with wheels and a handle for maximum comfort
- Short-haul flights or day trips
- Quite expensive for the size
- The space seems quite limited compared to other carryon backpacks with wheels
Osprey ozone 36 convertible is by far one of the best backpacks with wheels thanks to its sturdy and lightweight construction and the easy access to several inside pockets that allow you to store contents of your bag easily.
Osprey ozone 36 can be taken onboard as a cabin luggage and it weighs only 2.16kg. Made with high-quality Nylon Shadow Box fabric, it will last many holiday and business trips ahead.
This carry on backpack with wheels will be a great addition to your existing check-in luggage. It comes with an ultralight HighRoad LT Chassis and very comfortable backpack straps. The wheels won’t disappoint but this is expected from a high-end backpack range model. If you like the option of having multiple pockets and convenient dividers, Osprey ozone will keep your belongings well organised.
Whilst Osprey ozone 36 holds enough for a few days worth of travel clothes, it may not be sufficient for a backpacking trip or longer short-haul trips. There’s also an alternative for those looking for a high quality, sturdy backpack that can hold a lot more contents than Ozone 36. Despite its rather high price, Osprey Ozone Convertible 28″ 70L is worth every penny spent on it.
3) Kathmandu Hybrid 70L Backpack Harness Wheeled Luggage Trolley v3
- Size: 70L
- Material: Honeycomb Ripstop and Nylon Ballistic mat (inside & outside)
- Available in: Light Grey, Black/Olive Green (50L), Claret/Flamingo
- Dimensions: L 79cm x H 37cm x W 37cm
- Weight: 3.65 kg
- Other sizes: Kathmandu Hybrid 50L Backpack
- Comfortable compression straps
- Durable wheels that allow comfortable carrying in versatile travel conditions
- Fold-out backpack harness and extendable handle for easy carrying
- Lockable zips and docking points
- Lightweight and spacious
- Effortlessly converts into a backpack thanks to backpack straps placed in a cover
- Easy access to the main compartment, as opposed to standard backpacks, opened from the top
- Internal and front mesh pockets
- Daypack attachment points to attach GluonTM daypack (sold separately)
- Various transport means (long-haul flights, ferry, campervan, public transport in less developed countries)
- Long-term travel around the world
- Anyone looking for a high-quality travel luggage and value for money over long-term
- Travellers who need more space
- Anyone looking for a larger than cabin size luggage
- Demanding travellers who want a durable backpack trolley that can withstand various conditions
- Backpack not included
- No sternum straps seen in the non-wheeled Kathmandu backpacks
- Rather expensive if you’re planning to use it very infrequently
Why should you need to pick a backpack or a suitcase for your travels? Your choice of a travel bag should not determine the way you want to live your travel experiences and certainly, you won’t need to compromise with Kathmandu Hybrid 70L Backpack Harness Wheeled Luggage Trolley v3.
This hybrid backpack suitcase is a great alternative for travellers with an eye on a high quality, versatile travel bag that can endure multiple plane and train journeys, muddy, bumpy roads and still look very presentable when you treat yourself to a high-end resort hotel.
It’s not cheap but if you’re thinking of holding onto this bag, you have years to come. Kathmandu Hybrid 70L Backpack comes with a lifetime guarantee and thanks to the sturdy design this lightweight 70L backpack with wheels is bound to endure jungle treks or heavy backpacking across India or South East Asia.
At 3.65 kg, this hybrid travel backpack with wheels is a little heavier than the top-open backpack but significantly lighter than the lightweight suitcases and the main compartment can be easily accessed as opposed to the standard backpacks.
For the ultimate convenience of a backpack suitcase, Kathmandu Hybrid 70L Backpack is equipped with compression straps. And whenever you get tired of carrying your backpack on your shoulders, simply convert it into a suitcase and wheel it on the ground and push with an extendable handle.
Lockable zips and attachment points for detachable daypack GluonTN and waterproof, high-quality material make this piece a good long-term investment for anyone who loves long-term travel in unpredictable conditions but prefers the convenience of a wheeled suitcase.
4) Eagle Creek Cargo Hauler Rolling Duffel 120L
- Size: 120L
- Material: Bi-TechTM Armor Lite Polyester
- Available in: Black, Cherry/Grey
- Dimensions: H 40cm x L 80cm x W 34.3cm
- Weight: 1.78 kg
- Other sizes: Eagle Creek Cargo Hauler Rolling Duffel 90L
- Water repellent bi-tech fabric for guaranteed abrasion resistance
- 6 lash points that allow bag attachment to roof racks
- Padded top and U-Shaped lid allows quick access to the main compartment area
- Storm flap that shields zippers from the rain
- Lockable zippers
- Contains a gear pocket, handles, and heavy-duty wheels to tackle the rough terrain of any back road
- Easily removable backpack straps
- Can be carried in 4 ways: 1. by holding removable backpack straps, 2. by pulling handle and wheeling, 3. By side handle, 4. by padded top haul handle
- Foam padding at the bottom of the bag provides ultimate protection for bag contents
- Soft shell, rectangular design
- Easy access to the bag even when wearing gloves thanks to finger-friendly pulls
- Two large, heavy-duty wheels for maximum protection against various terrain types, including bumpy roads and rough terrain
- Heavy users
- Anyone who needs a spacious and very durable luggage
- Travellers who need maximum protection against damage and impact on various terrains
- Anyone planning on travelling in unpredictable weather conditions including heavy rain or snowfall
- Travellers looking for a lightweight convertible suitcase backpack
- Made with thinner material
- Less comfortable when carried on the shoulders for an extended period
Eagle Creek Cargo Hauler Rolling Duffel 120L convertible suitcase backpack is a great solution for demanding adventure lovers who need an extra spacious travel bag with easy access to compartments.
This hybrid backpack suitcase is ultralight, weighing only 1.78kg! Anyone who has difficulties going through customs and desperately wants to save weight will find a solution in this model.
You don’t need to compromise on the quality. This lightweight backpack with wheels and duffel bag in one is extremely sturdy thanks to water repellent coated Bi-TechTM Armor Lite fabric that guarantees protection against abrasion and heavy rain or snowfall. Finger-friendly pulls allow to access the bag compartments even whilst wearing gloves.
Eagle Creek hybrid bag has a padded top haul U-shaped lid and padding at the bottom to reduce the impact of any heavy duty carrying, dragging or throwing. It comes with an extendable handle and can be carried in 4 ways using removable backpack straps, by pulling the top handle, side grab handle or padded top haul handles.
It comes with zippered end pockets for a better organisation and bartack reinforcements on the stress points that offer maximum durability. It’s an amazing hybrid backpack duffle bag for anyone who needs to protect their valuables and always needs that extra space in their bag, just in case.
5) Mountain Warehouse Voyager 50L Wheelie Rucksack
- Size: 50L
- Material: 100% Nylon – PU coated polyester
- Available in: Black
- Dimensions: L 75cm x W 35cm x D 23cm
- Weight: 2.9 kg
- Padding on the adjustable shoulder straps for maximum comfort
- Robust wheels for guaranteed durability and smooth wheeling on various surfaces
- Compression straps for increased balance and reducing overall volume
- Made of durable polyester that withstands numerous backpacking trips
- Many compartments and handy pockets for storage and protection of your belongings
- Very affordable and significantly cheaper than the similar models on the market
- Amazing value for money that’s hard to beat
- Anyone who likes good deals without compromising on the quality
- Backpackers who like to travel light instead of carrying large suitcases
- Travellers who value comfort and simplicity
- Not many dividing pockets inside the backpack
- The size is too large for a cabin luggage but relatively small for an average backpack size
Mountain Warehouse Voyager 50L Wheelie Rucksack is a great alternative for those travellers who do not necessarily need the top of the range rucksack with wheels but looking for a functional, practical and sturdy luggage that can withstand all sorts of travel mode and like the flexibility of a convertible suitcase backpack.
Whilst it may not look very business-like, you will not be disappointed during hours of hiking, camping and long backpacking trips across the globe. It can hold up to 50 litres which may be just enough for the majority of travellers. When you get tired of carrying the rucksack on your shoulders, you can put away the straps and switch to side and top handles.
Voyager 50L Wheelie Rucksack comes with padded, adjustable shoulder straps for maximum comfort and if you need to reduce the overall volume, you can use the compression straps to get the desired effect. The durable and robust wheels have been designed to smooth your experience when wheeling this pretty lightweight hybrid rucksack over some of the bumpy terrain.
Being very sturdy, Voyager 50L Wheelie Rucksack by Mountain Warehouse is undoubtedly one of the best backpacks with wheels for travel, priced at less than half of what you would pay for other branded and high-quality convertible travel backpacks with wheels. Any backpacker who likes to travel in style and in comfort will find it hard to turn their nose on the wheeled backpack that is priced well below the top range backpacks without the wheels.
6) Cabin Max Manhattan Hybrid Trolley Backpack
- Size: 44L
- Material: Exterior UV-coated Twill with suede
- Available in: Grey/Yellow
- Dimensions: H 55 cm x L 40cm x W 20cm
- Weight: 2.9 kg
- 2 high-quality wheels
- Backpack straps that can be packed away in the rear area
- Suitcase-style opening that has lockable main compartment
- Grab handles for improved lifting
- Interior compressions strap for maximum space use
- Cabin size approved that fits with hand luggage dimensions of Ryanair, EasyJet, BA or Lufthansa
- 3-year warranty
- Short holiday destinations in Europe and elsewhere
- Travellers who do not require much space
- Anyone who likes to travel light and keep their belongings well organised
- Anyone who likes the convenience and practicality of a convertible backpack suitcase that also looks stylish
- Relatively small capacity as it only holds up to 44L
- It’s a little too heavy for a rucksack
- Handle can be a little wobbly
Cabin Max Manhattan Hybrid Trolley Backpack is a great addition or replacement to your existing hand luggage. This stylish and comfortable backpack with wheels fits the luggage dimensions of major airlines, such as Ryanair, EasyJet or BA so you can stay calm. It holds up to 44 litres which makes it a perfect backpack for short trips to European destinations.
Whilst it might not be ideal for some backpackers who like to overpack, it is a great day back for all sorts of camping or backpacking trips whilst still being suitable for some backpackers who simply pack the essentials.
Manhattan Hybrid Trolley Backpack is equipped with a lockable main compartment that opens up just like a suitcase. There’s also a compression strap inside the bag to keep your possessions in order and maximise the available space.
With multiple pockets, ample storage space and zips, it will serve well anyone who likes the comfort of a wheeled suitcase and a backpack will find it as one of the best backpacks with wheels that is so compact and most importantly, does not need to be checked in!
7) Karrimor Transit Wheel Suitcase 70L
- Size: 70L
- Available in: Black/Grey
- Other sizes: Karrimor Transit Wheel Suitcase 40L
- Dimensions: H 62cm x D 27cm x W 42cm
- Weight: 2.9 kg
- Removable shoulder straps that can be easily hidden away
- Mesh-covered padded handles attached to the side and top that aid carrying
- Retractable handle for easy wheeling on the ground
- Front pocket for easy access to documents
- Lining inside the suitcase with two compression straps for holding your bag contents in right place
- Anyone who needs a lot of space and prefers the convenience of a convertible backpack suitcase with the straps that is lightweight
- Travellers who consider wheeling the suitcase more than carrying it on the shoulders for an extended period of time
- Anyone looking a budget wheeled backpack suitcase for occasional rather than heavy backpacking trips
- Material quality and construction not as sturdy as other trolley backpacks
- Looks quite bulky due to long height but the depth could be more sizeable
- The straps may get quite uncomfortable if the bag is carried on the shoulders for quite some time
Karrimor Transit Wheel Suitcase 70L is a great solution for the travellers looking for a good value for money deal and although they may like the idea of hardcore backpacking, they much rather prefer the convenience of a conventional suitcase and occasionally carrying the bag on their shoulders.
Is it a very affordable suitcase with backpack straps that will serve you well in various travel conditions. At only 2.9kg, this hybrid backpack suitcase is very lightweight. The wheels are sturdy and make a ride on most surface types smooth and noise-free. The handle is very well made for the suitcases within the same price range. The side handles can effortlessly support the weight at 20kg but don’t overpack as the material doesn’t seem to be as strong as other backpacks with wheels.
This trolley backpack is equipped with a clever cover that prevents the wheels from leaving dirty marks on your lower back. You can tuck away the backpack straps in the lower back cover so they don’t get in your way once you’re done with them. Just be careful not to use a single strap for a long time as these straps are not strong enough to cope with fully loaded backpack weight.
You can opt-in for Karrimor Transit Wheel Suitcase 40L, the smaller model of this brand where the straps may fit your back better. It can also be taken as a hand luggage as it fits the dimensions for the majority of budget airlines.
The inside of the bag is very spacious, with the zipped lining on the top part for holding loser and lighter items and the main compartment with two compression straps that hold contents of the bag in place. Be aware that the lining is quite flimsy and probably won’t last as long as you’d like it to!
Whilst Karrimor Transit Wheel Suitcase 70L may not beat the features seen in some of the best backpacks with wheels for travel, the price tag is definitely going to grab your attention.
I hope our review on best convertible backpack suitcase with wheels will help you clear some of your uncertainties and allow you to make a well-informed decision, taking into account your individual travel needs, budget and preferences.
Don’t forget to leave a comment if you think you’ve found this article useful and want to add anything to it for other readers who, just like you, are looking for the best backpacks with wheels for travel, whether long-haul or short-haul!
Welcome, welcome! You’ve come a long way. If you’re after a decent Ishigaki island guide, you can finally get some rest; you deserve it after finding me here. Remember to take your shoes off, it’s an Asian household! You’re going to learn a thing or two about some of...read more
All You Need To Know About Chinese New Year 2019 in London Chinatown With Christmas and New Year making a slow way out of London’s streets and landmarks in early January, there are other festivals unhurriedly making a more discernible appearance in the city in early...read more
I’ve been to Din Tai Fung in London - This Is What It’s Really Like Living in big cities like London comes with a huge list of perks. That’s if you exclude the irritating habits of your neighbours next door, inflated rent prices and overcrowded trains on your...read more
Spending Christmas in London? Christmas-Only Ideas That Will Make You Enamoured Today you’re going to find out all about making the most of Christmas in London and I’m here to help you choose where to go and what to see during this special time. After all,...read more
What is dim sum? All you ever wanted to know about traditional Chinese food ...but you didn’t know who to ask! If you’ve been reading our articles and following our YouTube channel, you’ll know that Kevin and I like to make the most of our travels including...read more
Best day trips from Kyoto in Japan That You Cannot Miss If you’re planning your holiday in Japan, you’re most likely going to visit Kyoto, Japan’s most visited city. Or you’d be the first one skipping it as I don’t know anyone who would plan a trip to Japan...read more
Best day trips from Osaka in Japan That You Shouldn’t Miss – All in One Place Travelling to Osaka in Japan? Be sure that the vibrant city of Osaka won’t disappoint you in the slightest. Quite the contrary, it is going to keep you entertained for at least few...read more
Top 5 Best Reusable Menstrual Cups for Travel - All You Need to Know About Them Planning on travelling? Or perhaps you’ve already been travelling and considering another long holiday – away from work and daily matters. There are several factors that have...read more
With Osaka being the third largest city in Japan after Tokyo and Yokohama, there’s a high chance this bustling city will be on your Japan bucket list. Since we had to use several travel guides when deciding on what to do in Osaka, we created our own guide with only...read more
Guide Best 18 Ideas What To Do In Chiang Mai What’s the first thing that comes to my mind when I think of Chiang Mai? Delicious, tropical food at unbelievably affordable prices! There’s much more to it and I feel that most people traveling to Thailand should...read more